The Faculty & Staff Campaign
Week Three: Attracting and Retaining Top Faculty
We’ve reached the midpoint of our Faculty & Staff Campaign, and it’s time to step up our efforts to reach our participation goal! Gifts of any amount support the “Here, We Go” Campaign for the University of Houston. Have you made your gift yet?
This week, we are focusing on attracting and retaining top faculty through chairs and professorships. Endowed chairs and professorships are vital to bringing top talent to our Houston home, and philanthropy makes those positions a reality.
We didn’t become a Tier One research university overnight: innovative faculty and researchers have made our University what it is today. Support our fantastic faculty through the Faculty & Staff Campaign by making your gift today.
On January 18th, the University of Houston announced the largest fund raising effort in its history with the public launch of a $1 Billion Campaign. It is designed to raise funds needed to support the University’s priorities and move its many colleges forward in a strategic direction.
As we set forth on this ambitious undertaking, we are encouraging faculty, staff and retirees alike to make gifts in support of the university’s future. The UH Faculty & Staff Campaign is an opportunity for the UH community to lead the way in the campaign’s success which will begin on April 3rd and run for a month, ending on May 3, 2017.
The Faculty & Staff Campaign is an opportunity for UH faculty and staff to invest in the university and is an example of employee engagement that is sure to inspire others to give. The goal of the Faculty & Staff Campaign is participation. It’s not about the size of the gift. It’s about the participation rate, and we truly hope we can achieve 100 percent participation. This is a wonderful opportunity for each of us to help make our University a better place. Our giving sets the pace.
To show our commitment to this Campaign, we are pledging to match any gifts by UH Faculty or Staff, dollar for dollar, to a maximum of $100,000. We both feel strongly that giving begins at home, and UH has been our professional home for many years.
Whether you make a gift to support endowments to recruit and retain outstanding faculty, invest in the university’s research enterprise or provide scholarships to ensure deserving students can follow their dreams, you are signaling a powerful belief in the future of our University—and beyond.
In fact, all gifts to the university from faculty, staff and retirees will count toward the campaign. So no matter where you direct your contribution, you’ll help UH remain a place that defines the very future of education.
To make a donation, complete your online pledge form today. You can make a one-time gift or donate through payroll deduction (up to 60 months) and also designate the campaign priority of your choice. However much you give and the form it takes are up to you, but we urge you to join us in this Campaign.
Please join us in making your commitment for the future of UH. Thank you.
Sincerely, your UH colleagues,
Michael A. Olivas, Co-Chair
William B. Bates Distinguished Chair
UH Law Center
Augustina H. Reyes, Co-Chair
Professor, Dept. Educational Leadership & UH Law Center
UH College of Education
Procedure for Olivas/Reyes Faculty and Staff Campaign Challenge Match
- The Faculty and Staff Campaign Challenge Match (“Challenge Match”) will be used to encourage faculty/staff participation in the Here, We Go Campaign.
- The Challenge Match will be a 1:1 match (capped at $1,000 per donor) for faculty/staff on a first-come, first-served basis with the funds following the donor’s funds starting on January 19, 2017 and continuing through the end of the Here, We Go Campaign or until the Faculty and Staff Campaign Challenge Match funds are maximized.For example:
- $1,000 gift to Athletics will be matched with a $1,000 Challenge Match to the same allocation within Athletics
- $60,000 gift to GCSW will be matched with a $1,000 Challenge Match to the same allocation within GCSW
- $1,000 pledge to Bauer with a payment of $500/year over two years will be matched with a $500 Challenge Match to the same allocation within Bauer each year the payment is made (see #3 for additional clarification.)
- Recurring payments (Monthly credit card/payroll deduction) of $10 for three (3) years totaling $360 will be matched with a $360 Challenge Match to the same allocation
- The Challenge Match will only match gifts received and cannot be reserved with pledges.
- Jordan Tucker, Manager of Gift Compliance (713-743-7738 or email@example.com), will monitor the Challenge Match on a monthly basis. Once qualified faculty/staff giving surpasses the $100,000 mark, Gift Compliance will coordinate distribution of the Challenge Match funds to the appropriate allocations. That is, the Challenge Match funds will be matched one-time.
Faculty & Staff Campaign FAQS
1. Why is faculty and staff giving important to UH?
The $1 Billion Campaign for the University of Houston is the largest fundraising effort UH has experienced in more than 25 years. We have entered an era of unprecedented revitalization and growth that will position us to be even better prepared — in terms of facilities, technology and people — to serve the evolving needs of our students, our community and the world. We all have a stake in UH’s continued progress. Our support will send a powerful message that is sure to fuel and inspire other potential contributors
2. Who can participate in the campaign?
All full-time, part-time and adjunct employees are encouraged to participate. Additionally, if you are a UH graduate, your gift to the campaign will also impact the University’s alumni participation rate.
Faculty and staff participation is measured by the number of current full-time faculty and staff donors divided by the total number of current full-time and permanent part-time UH faculty and staff.
3. How can I contribute to the Faculty & Staff Campaign?
There are several ways. By far the most popular option is payroll deduction. A modest monthly contribution can, over several years, multiply into a sizeable gift.
If you prefer, you can also make a one-time gift.
To make your gift please visit:
Online at https://giving.uh.edu/gift
Payroll deduction: You may download a payroll deduction form, or set up your payroll deduction using P.A.S.S.
Print a Gift Commitment Form and mail to:
University of Houston
Gift and Processing Records
P O Box 867
Houston, TX 77001-0867
4. Does it matter how much I give?
The goal of the Faculty & Staff Campaign is participation. It’s not about the size of the gift. It’s about the participation rate, and we truly hope we can achieve 100 percent participation.
5. Is there a minimum amount for payroll deduction?
Yes, there is a $2 minimum for all payroll deduction gifts (by pay period).
6. Where can I direct my gift?
Whether you make a gift to support endowments to recruit and retain outstanding faculty, invest in the University’s research enterprise or provide scholarships to ensure deserving students can follow their dreams, you are helping to transform the future of our University.
In fact, all gifts to the University from faculty, staff and retirees will count toward the campaign. So no matter where you direct your contribution, you’ll help UH. A complete list of giving options can be found in the drop-down menu of the Pledge Form on the online giving page at https://giving.uh.edu/gift or through the Payroll Deduction Form in P.A.S.S.
7. Can I give in memory or in honor of someone?
Absolutely. Many people make gifts to UH in memory of a loved one, in honor of a trusted colleague, or in appreciation of a beloved faculty member for the exceptional education they provided.
8. Is my gift tax-deductible?
Yes! All gifts to UH through the Faculty & Staff Campaign are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law.
9. I have already made a gift this fiscal year to my college faculty and staff campaign. Does this count in the campaign?
Yes! All gifts made by UH employees from 9/1/2016 to 8/31/2017 will be counted in this year’s campaign.
10. When will my payroll deduction start?
If you are starting a new payroll deduction or changes to a current payroll deduction, the new deduction will begin as HR uploads these changes. (Payroll deduction can take up to 3 weeks to start, based on when the form is received.)
11. Can I make a gift jointly with my spouse or partner?
Yes! Indicate on the payroll deduction form or the gift card that the contribution is a joint gift and provide your name and the name of your spouse or partner. If your spouse or partner also works at UH, he/she will also receive credit for participation.
12. Will my gift be matched?
Yes! In fact, to show their commitment to this campaign, our Faculty & Staff Campaign Co-Chairs Michael A. Olivas and Augustina H. Reyes are pledging to match any gifts by UH Faculty or Staff, dollar for dollar, up to $1,000 per gift, with a maximum of $100,000. For more information about the Match, please visit https://giveto.uh.edu/get-involved/faculty-staff/#challenge-match.
If your spouse works for a matching gift organization, your gift can also be matched. Simply indicate that information on your pledge form and ask your spouse to complete their company’s matching gift request form.
13. Who knows if I’ve made a gift?
Gift amounts are always confidential and will never be shared with anyone.
You have the option to have your gift recognized/publicized by name only, or you can choose to remain anonymous.
14. Can I make a deferred gift during the campaign?
Deferred gifts — such as gift annuities, bequests, charitable remainder trusts and life insurance policies — also count toward this campaign. If you already have named UH as a beneficiary in a planned gift, we would like to properly acknowledge your generosity. Please contact Sherrie Mueller, Associate Director of Gift Planning at 713-743-4259 or samuell2@Central.UH.edu to assure our records are accurate.
15. How do I make a naming gift?
For a qualifying naming opportunity (endowed scholarships, faculty endowments, space naming), a UH Development Officer is available to help. Please contact Connie Loyd, Sr. Director of Advancement at 713-743-8116 or clloyd2@Central.UH.edu.
16. If I make a naming gift, do I have to pay it out all at once?
No. Pledges to the campaign can be fulfilled over a period of up to five years. Many have found that fulfilling a pledge over several years can be a great way to make a larger gift to UH than they originally thought possible.
17. What if I leave UH before my pledge is completed?
Your pledge is considered a good-faith intention; it is not considered a debt. We realize that personal circumstances can change. So if you find you need to change your pledge, we encourage you to call the Advancement Office to discuss it with us.