Board of Visitors
The University of Houston’s Board of Visitors (BoV) is a leadership group of private sector opinion leaders and University advocates that serves to advance the University of Houston and improve the University’s image in Houston and throughout the region. BoV members represent a broad array of expertise, interests and connections and serve as ambassadors and strategic partners for the University.
Senior Vice President, Integrity Bank
CEO and Chairman, the BTS Team
Christopher A. Helms
Founder and CEO, US Shale Energy Advisors LLC
President and CEO, Carl Lewis Entertainment Group
Robert T. Arnold
Chair, UH Foundation
President and Chairman, UH College of Business Foundation
President, UH Faculty Senate
(’95, O.D. ’97)
President, University of Houston Foundation for Education and Research in Vision, Inc.
Stephen P. Schwarz
Chairman, Houston Public Media Foundation
Fred S. Couples (FS ’80)
President, Couples Bates Golf Design Group
John T. McNabb II
Chairman, Corporate Finance, Growth Capital Partners LP
Richard “Racehorse” Haynes (J.D. ’56)
Attorney, Richard Haynes & Associates PC
Eric M. Hilton (Honorary Doctorate ’85)
Former Vice Chairman, Hilton Hotels Corporation
The Honorable William P. Hobby (Honorary Doctorate ’97)
37th Lieutenant Governor of Texas; Hobby Communications
Third Ward Schools
- Effect progressive and holistic change to six schools in the immediate neighborhood by raising the schools from an “Improvement Required” rating to an overall “Met Standards,” under the TEA system by fall 2018 Third Ward schools in the program are: Blackshear, Foster, Thompson and Hartsfield Elementary Schools; Cullen Middle School; and Jack Yates High School
- Engage the University, community and educational leaders in a solid partnership
- Improve the overall educational environment in the third ward and create a cradle to career mentality and system in the third ward
- Ensure that University of Houston students, student-athletes and constituents are part of a Tier One, nationally relevant athletics program.
- Develop and maintain state-of-the art athletic facilities that keep the University of Houston relevant among regional and national competition.
- Elevate the recruitment of top students in the Houston area and throughout the State of Texas.
- Re-establish and build athletic traditions to create an enduring legacy for alums and fans through multiple generations.
- Energize the Houston fan base, and the City of Houston, to help fill athletic venues, while maximizing revenue that can be re-invested to ensure sustained success.
- Build a new medical school to train primary care physicians to practice in the urban and rural underserved areas of Texas and to improve the health of communities and the population of the greater Houston area
- Offer a highly innovative medical school curriculum and teaching methodology to train physicians and other healthcare professionals in an interdisciplinary setting to prepare the high-performing healthcare teams needed to provide care to the population in the 21st century
- Foster collaboration among the existing clinical programs in social work, pharmacy, optometry, speech language pathology and clinical psychology and join the ranks of key players in the changing health-care environment