Board of Visitors
The University of Houston’s Board of Visitors (BoV) is a leadership group of private sector opinion leaders and University advocates that serves to advance the University of Houston and improve the University’s image in Houston and throughout the region. BoV members represent a broad array of expertise, interests and connections and serve as ambassadors and strategic partners for the University.
Victor Barcot (’95, M.B.A. ’97)
Managing Director, Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc.
John Clarke (’82)
Senior Vice President, Integrity Bank
Judy Cook (J.D. ’89)
Vice President and Secretary, Mark and Judith Cook Foundation
Rev. Marcus Cosby
Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church
Earl Cummings (’91)
CEO and Chairman, the BTS Team
Jo Furr (M.Ed. ’95)
Retired Educator and Community Volunteer
Christopher A. Helms
Founder and CEO, US Shale Energy Advisors LLC
President, Long Lake Ltd.
Walter Jones (’65)
Former Chairman and CEO, WestStar Mortgage, Inc.
Robert Kneppler Jr. (’85)
Managing Director, Wortham Insurance
David McMenamin (’74)
Founder and CEO, Horizon Financial Group
Jack Pogge (’75)
Former President, Chief Operations Officer and Director, CSG Systems International, Inc.
Ricky Raven (’83, J.D. ‘86)
Partner, Reed Smith LLP
Maria Rios (FS ’88)
Owner and President, Nation Waste Inc.
Community Volunteer and Arts Patron,
Former Director of Religious Education, St. Martin’s Episcopal Church
President and CEO, TDECU
Robert T. Arnold
Chair, UH Foundation
President and Chairman, UH College of Business Foundation
(’93, M.S. ’99)
Secretary, UH Alumni Association Foundation
(’78, M.B.A. ’86)
Houston Public Media Foundation
President, UH Faculty Senate
(’95, O.D. ’97)
President, University of Houston Foundation for Education and Research in Vision, Inc.
Don Bacigalupi (’83)
Founding President, Lucas Museum of Narrative Art
Fred S. Couples (FS ’80)
President, Couples Bates Golf Design Group
Richard “Racehorse” Haynes (J.D. ’56)
Attorney, Richard Haynes & Associates PC
Eric M. Hilton (Honorary Doctorate ’85)
Former Vice Chairman, Hilton Hotels Corporation
The Honorable William P. Hobby (Honorary Doctorate ’97)
37th Lieutenant Governor of Texas; Hobby Communications
Reverend William Lawson (Honorary Doctorate ’93)
Pastor Emeritus, Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church
Carl Lewis (FS ’82)
President and CEO, Carl Lewis Entertainment Group
John T. McNabb II
Founding Chair, Board of Visitors
Chairman, Corporate Finance, Growth Capital Partners LP
Daryl Wilkerson (FS ’80)
Vice President of Support Services, University of Chicago Medicine
- Provide industry insights and expertise on the type and quality care needed in the 21st century to assist in the development of a highly innovative medical school curriculum and teaching methodology.
- Advocate for the impacts the UH Medical School will have on the population of the greater Houston area and the medical community.
- Open doors to potential donors and supporters, both regionally and nationally to help in the development of the school and its recruitment of top faculty and students.
- Foster partnerships between the UH Medical School and federally qualified health centers by initiating relationships with key players in the changing health-care environment.
- Provide advice and direction to the UH Medical School planning team and for the Case for Support throughout the approval and accreditation process.
Third Ward Schools
- Effect progressive and holistic change to six schools in the immediate neighborhood by raising the scores of schools on Index I, Academic Performance, to above the “Met Standards” level.
- Foster a strong pipeline of volunteer leaders in the schools by solidifying a volunteer management system and liaison program between the University and the Third Ward Schools.
- Encourage the creation of partnerships between UH and the community by launching the Third Ward ACE Institute.
- Support and promote the University of Houston Department of Athletics mission: Building Champions for Life by engaging with the student-athlete experience at UH.
- Ensure that UH students, student-athletes and constituents are part of a Tier One, nationally relevant athletics program by attracting and retaining top athletic leadership.
- Allow student-athletes to develop and compete on the national level by supporting the development and maintenance of state-of-the-art athletic facilities.
- Create an enduring legacy for alumni and fans through multiple generations by continuing to build and enhance athletic traditions.
- Energize the UH fan base and the City of Houston and maximize revenues that can be re-invested ensuring sustained success by helping fill athletic venues.
- Partner with Career Services to review and expand external contacts for student opportunities (job placement, internships, fellowships) as well as identify industry gaps for connections — to advocate for employers to recruit first from UH students. Participate in professional volunteer training opportunities (recruiting, related topics) as determined.
- Explore opportunities to support student recruitment efforts by leveraging contacts in Houston and other markets.
- Participate in development of the Scarlet Seals of Excellence, a new program in which students demonstrate learning outside the classroom in preparation for post-graduation opportunities (i.e., career or graduate school).
Third Ward Economic Empowerment
- Stimulate vigorous business activity in the Third Ward by incubating small-to-medium sized businesses in partnership with the SURE™ program at the C.T. Bauer College of Business.
- Illuminate the strengths of Third Ward businesses by advocating for increased business activity between the UH business community and Third Ward enterprises.
- Enhance UH community alliances by providing job and internship placement opportunities for individuals in partner programs including the Young Mothers Residential Program at Project Row Houses.