Ways to Give
Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds and Other Publicly Traded Securities
Stocks, bonds, and other publicly traded securities which have increased in value and been held for more than one year are one of the most popular assets to use when making a gift to the University of Houston. Making a gift of securities offers you the chance to support our work while realizing important benefits for you and your family.
Possible benefits of gifting appreciated securities:
- Receive the full market value as an income tax deduction
- Eliminate capital gains taxes
- Receive full gift credit for the market value of the security, not your purchase price
The University maintains active trading accounts and gifts of securities can be made by electronic transfer or by mailing the stock certificate. Use our Securities Transfer Instruction Form for account information.
Primary Contact for Gifting Securities:
Chief Development Officer, Gift Planning
How to Gift Securities
- Notify us of your plan to gift securities to the University so we may properly allocate and acknowledge your gift by contacting Andrea Olczak at 713-743-6313 or email@example.com.
- Fill out the UH Securities Transfer Instruction Form. This form includes instructions for your financial broker.
- Scan and email the form to Andrea Olczak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Allow 2-3 weeks for acknowledgment of the gift. In most cases, you will be credited the average of the high/low trading value of the security on the day of transfer. If no trading occurs on the date of transfer, other IRS rules may apply.
Closely Held Stock
If you hold stock in a closely held business, you may be able to use that stock as a powerful way to support our future. All closely held stock requires the approval of our Gift Acceptance Committee. Speak with Andrea Olczak at 713-743-6313 for more information.